Toronto Workers Co-op Meeting 14 Nov 2018
📧 Mailing List: email@example.com
📑 Retreat Planning Board
Time: 14 Nov 2018 5:30 pm EST
Attending: udit, dcwalk, benhylau, garry
- Picking a time:
- Co-op Legal Requirements:
- Non-profit vs. for-profit
- benhylau to share Loomio
- How ORID and Adaptive Governance fit in?
- Co-op games (deferred)
Picking a time
- Check in on poll: https://www.when2meet.com/?7282237-OQSMP
- Dec 4 6:30 - 9:30 pm
- Dec 8 1:00 - 4:00 pm
- What if not everyone can make both days?
- Acknowledge we will always will have a changing participant base,
- Perhaps only participants who want to be a “Member” need to be at second meeting?
- The “forming” of the co-op is also a continuous process
- We want to make this the outcomes of “Retreat”:
- Goal to meet legal requirements
- Core values alignment that would form the co-op direction
- Reflect on availability from initial doc in first meeting
- Should not force people to be part of foundational vision
- Do we want to talk about levels of membership?
- i.e., what role people want to play in creation of governance doc, vision?
- DC: Is member versus contributor helpful enough?
- Udit: Maybe not called (Member|Contributor)
- Two facets:
- Time committment:
- I am working on this full time and do my most important work as part of the coop
- I want to contribute at least 20% of my work time in this coop
- I am contributing time to the work of this coop and see myself as a part-time employee
- I see myself contributing on a project- or task- basis?
- I’m not sure at this time, but could see myself working with you in some capacity in the future
- Involvment in coop direction setting (and therefore retreat):
- I want to materially be involved in shaping the mission and establishing this co-op
- I don’t feel like I need to be involved in this stage
- Tier system vs. continuous spectrum of involvement, or having different dimensions
- Time committment:
- For those not able to attend, but who want to be involved, what options are available?
- Next steps:
- Tentatively set dates (as above?)
- Use Loomio to poll on committment (not using Member/Contributor), SOON
- (If needed) Ensure pathways for participation if those aren’t present
- Looked at Coop Requirements Doc
- Using Industry Canada’s timeline, we are in PHASE II – CO-ORDINATE THE PRE CO-OPERATIVE’S ACTIVITIES, Step 3: Organizing Intital Meeting
- Three “categories” of work: Business Case (Feasibility?), Bylaw Creation, and Incorporation
- Do people have to buy in to shares? Work-equity model?
- Have an idea of a year’s operating cost?
- Non-profit vs. for-profit (see “Use of Surplus” section)
- Do we need help?
- Before bylaws get adopted, we should check in with someone with legal expertise
- Perhaps OCA can point us in the right direction, or look at existing resources
- Perhaps we need an Accountant (when needed to distribute $) + Lawyer (bylaw drafting) probably necessary
- Everything above Reference-Material in doc is candidate for inclusion into Playbook?
- Next Steps:
- Udit to move/prioritize Req’s Doc stuff into Playbook
- Ben read through Playbook after to go through
- Showed how we may use Thread and Decision Tools in Loomio
- Enspiral’s “How we use Loomio”: https://medium.com/enspiral-tales/using-loomio-to-govern-a-self-organising-community-45ef4af15f26
- Udit: to move/prioritize Req’s Doc stuff into Playbook
- Ben: read through Playbook after to go through
DC: Tentatively set dates (as above?) in calendar
- Someone: Use Loomio to poll on committment (not using Member/Contributor)
- Retreat Planning Committee: (If needed) Ensure pathways for participation if those aren’t present