Toronto Workers Co-op Meeting 26 Sep 2018
📑 Retreat Planning Board
Time: 26 Sep 2018 5:30 pm EST
Attending: benhylau, udit, yurko, ansuz, dcwalk, elon, garry
- Previous Business
- Review Actionable Items from last meeting
- Gathering updates about grants (Protocol Labs, others?)
- November Planning Session
- schedule: date, times, and length
- format: pre-read, facilitated sessions, async work
- themes and outcomes for the discussion in November: consensus on vision + mission, levels of commitment, roles and remuneration, mechanisms for decision making and conflict resolution, code of conduct etc.
- Determining who has availability to plan and coordinate the November planning session
- Going over how we communicate in the coming months (mailing list, riot, docs etc.)
- Review Actionable items
ben: plan another meeting for next week? dawn: set up a poll to arrive at a Generally Available Time
- ansuz: set up a google docs shared folder
- will do this week
- ansuz: make a git repository with a (possibly self-hosted) upstream
- ansuz: set up a mailing list?
- mailing list with cryptography.dog
- get emails from the offline.networks proposal
- ben: loop Rob and Udit into the planning process for coop meeting
- project board?
- shouldn’t live only in Meeting notes!
- d: let’s start planning now (I can share old docs)
- b: can’t foresee people being available now because we planned to start in November
- d: if we can’t plan now, we shouldn’t schedule now.
- give people time to be successful –d
- future: Talk about our plan for what we do if we don’t get the grant
- this informs how much time we ought to allocate towards coop activity before we know the status of the grant
- future: create a policy for a coop reading networks
- future: name the organization
- buy a domain?
- November meeting, we use cryptography.dog as stand-in name for now
- offline.systems is a project name not org name
- Gathering updates on grants
- ben: haven’t heard back aside from knowing the review is in-process
- evan just came back from vacay, not expecting to hear back this week
- send follow up next week? maybe offer a call, on Monday
- other grant leads, submissions… that people are interested in?
- ansuz: looking into next year, prelim convos about privacy-oriented stuff. A lot up in the air
- udit: meeting with CCA around research on tech use. Very vague, early now
- benhylau: Mozilla? ISOC? CIRA? (annual granting cycle–Spring 2019)
- ansuz: https://github.com/ralphtheninja/open-funding
- benhylau: https://digitaljusticelab.ca/grants (small grant for workshop facilitation)
November December Planning Session
- dcwalk sharing experience with planning previous planning exercise
- 6 weeks to plan
- some work every week, a couple 10ish hour weeks?
- udit: who wants to be part of planning?
- ansuz has to be remote
- can help with note taking during November sessions
- can help leading up to the date (except the first two weeks of November when I’ll be in India), so mid-Nov on
- dcwalk: plan for remote participation
- udit: poll
- udit: collect themes before our meeting
- dcwalk: set expectations of how much to read
- ansuz: collect readings on github repo
- ansuz: can host readings if needed
- dcwalk: sample session topics from Data Together:
- Mission, Vision, Value (good starting point) <– udit agrees (3 hours sync meetings)
- Planning for Our Future
- benhylau: want face time
- dcwalk: everyone on laptop vs. Toronto people in a room and remote people call in
- udit: should person planning just make decision?
- ansuz: we should do some delegative democracy instead of consense on every little thing
- dcwalk: “we are going to launch an ICO” scale of decision <– should do best effort to get feedback
- dcwalk: expect each person to do 5 hours per week of pondering about lyfe before showing up at meeting
- benhylau: some output from that pondering?
- ansuz: manifestos, from each person <– that’s the word benhylau was looking for
- dcwalk: structured or casual output prior to meeting, but want some convergence not all over the place
- benhylau: a prompt, we need a prompt!
Availability to coordinate
November December planning session
December Planning Working Group (DPWG Coin)
|udit||Async last two weeks of Nov||Able to lead if enough supporting people|
|benhylau||Oct 27 onwards||Async before Oct 27 then pretty available to help plan|
|dcwalk||Available with no travel plans||Don’t want to lead but can assist in planning|
|ansuz||Async and day-of||Leaving shortly for France, no fixed plans for return to Toronto|
|patcon||(check with patcon)|
|rob||(check with rob)|
- first week of December:
- in person: dcwalk, benhylau, yurko, elon, garry, udit (likely)
- ansuz (remote or possibly in person)
Going over how we communicate in the coming months
- (mailing list, riot, docs etc.)
- how do we even communicate?!
- mailing list set up for low volume, quick turnaround
- riot for high volume
- yurko: bridge riot to the mailing list
- dcwalk: biweekly meetings, git project board for DPWG
- benhylau: use this recurring timeslot, rotate between biweekly general and biweekly DPWG
- benhylau: call general meeting on off weeks as needed
- dcwalk: next week is a planning meeting
- dcwalk: Google calendar!
- all: collect themes and readings for next week
- dcwalk: set up google calendar
- all: accept invite to crypto-dog gh org
- ansuz: set up a google docs shared folder
- anyone: make sure that a google friendly email is provided
- DPWG: planning meeting next week
- all-hands meeting: 2 weeks
- dcwalk and ansuz to coordinate infra setup
- benhylau: follow up email with Protocol Labs if we don’t hear back by Monday, suggest call / async addressing feedback